A trip back home

It's been months since I updated this blog, and for a very good reason: I was too busy enjoying the delicious food in Taiwan. In my short stay there, I must have gained 2 clothing sizes, as I seemed to have done nothing but eat. Food there is incredibly delicious and fresh, and number of eateries is mind boggling. Furthermore, there are so many vegetarian options that it was almost ridiculously simple (with exceptions in certain areas). Instead of struggling to find a decent options, I was struggling to limit my intake given that I only have one stomach. For such a small island, Taiwan boosts a huge number of local produce and specialties, which I can't even begin to cover all.

My home town hosts a busy morning market (aka farmers market) that attracts farmers and vendors from all over every morning. The scene is lively, chaotic, messy, loud, dirty, noisy, crowded, and seemingly inexhaustible. Pedestrian, bicycles, scouter motorcycles crowd into a narrow lane, making moving around all but nearly impossible. The selections here are cheap, fresh, and abundant.

Morning market in Shalu

The fish vendors bring the buckets of live fish and you simply point to the ones you want. 

Oyster vendors will shell out fresh oysters for you on the spot

Sausages are very popular

Vegetable vendors with their bicycle and trucks:
(I can only identify about half of the vegetables in these pictures)


Pineapples in Taiwan are amazingly sweet, and have a rich, bright yellow hue. The vendors peel and cut them for you. It takes about this guy 20 seconds to peel a pineapple.

From this market is where my grandmother and I go every morning to obtain daily produce and hunt down our breakfast. As you may have guessed, breakfast options are numerous, and many of them are unobtainable in the US, or for that matter, outside of Taiwan. Of all the foods I missed the most about Taiwan, it has to be the breakfast and the street foods, which -more than restaurant items- seemed to display uniquely local flairs.

Coming next: Breakfast Foods

No Comment so far

Post a Comment